Sunday, December 14, 2008

Second Quarter ORB review

Second Quarter Outside Reading Book Review
Thrill Ride by Rachel Hawthorne. Avon Books, 2006.
Genre: Realistic FictionMegan Holloway is your everyday average girl next door. She lives in the suburbs where nothing ever happens. So one day she gets the opportunity for a summer job at a theme park called; Thrill Ride. The theme park, just near Lake Erie, is far away from her home, Dallas, Texas. Megan was up for something new, a change maybe. That summer, her life took a sudden rollercoaster ride.
“This great teen read is recommended for any teenage girl who wants to read a great book about romance and first love.” As said by Teensreadtoo.com.
Thrill Ride is a classic love story with a little spice in it. There are surprises and those “oh no, she didn‘t” kind of moments galore. The description that Hawthorne uses makes you feel as if you’re in the scene with the protagonist, just watching everything occur. I really loved when the author would relate things in the book to things in modern day life. Mentioning little ideas make the biggest difference to me. I personally think it makes it more realistic.
To be honest, Thrill Ride isn’t similar to any other book I‘ve ever read. Its one of a kind in that sort of way. It has spunk and pizzazz. I am planning to read other books by Hawthorne in the future, because I enjoy her way of writing.
“The rests of the performances were a blurred haze, and I fought not to hyperventilate after I gave Parker my answer. When the show was over, we got up and left without a single word leaving our lips.” (page 169)
In this book it makes me feel like it is summer again. The vivid memories seem to pour back into my mind and make me smile. Rachel Hawthorne did an amazing job with just describing to get me into such a mindset, considering as I read the book, it was wintertime. Overall, I think the theme in the book is To Take A Chance, Because You’ll Never Know How Great Something Can Be. I think this because earlier on in the book Megan Holloway was just a shy small-town girl, but later in the novel she becomes outgoing and daring. The almost opposite of her before. I really loved how the author of this book used contemporary businesses, shows, etc. to make the novel all the more believable. Unfortunately, the ending is a bit of a cliffhanger, but I think that’s just to lead you on to her next book, Love on the Lifts. I will most likely read that next ORB!

No comments:

Blog Archive