Thursday, October 9, 2008


1st quarter outside reading book review
Haters By: Aliza Valdes-Rodriguez. Little, Brown and Company June 2008.
Genre; Realistic Fiction
Haters is about a teenage girl’s life, with all the difficulties that come along with it. Taking place in sunny California, Paski, the protagonist of the book, goes through the problems of transferring schools. The problems range from love, popularity, friendship, and even some medical. This book covers all the bases of conflicts.
“So humorous and real, that readers will be hooked after the first page …. You will not want to put this book down.” Says Library Media Connection on the inside cover page. I chose this quote out of many because I find it to describe the book the best. The recommendations hit the nail on the head, because I agreed with all of them. Though, If I would have to make a short recommendation similar to the one above, I probably would have said the same thing. It just sums it up perfectly.
The writing style in Haters is so descriptive it makes you feel like you’re right in the character’s shoes. Its so realistic to how a average 16 year old girl would feel and act. There are witty pieces of sarcasm, and references to common things in the modern time. The author also relates Paski’s life to problems that almost every girl faces. So, going through the book reading page by page, you feel like you know how she feels. I really enjoyed the Valdes-Rodriguez’s style of writing. It wasn’t like any other book I’ve ever read before. I hope to read more works by this author in the future. This was the first piece I read by her.
“He’s listening to Gwen Stefani’s Love. Angel. Music. Baby. Can I just say there is nothing on Earth scarier than seeing your dad sing along to “Harajuku Girls,” and doing his arms like serpents.” (page 11)
This quote personally made me chuckle because I thought of my dad doing something like that. This quote shows just how funny the rest of the book was. There were constant places were I would just quietly laugh to myself.
I really enjoyed Haters. It was probably the best book I’ve yet to read. It makes you laugh, yet, there are suspenseful points. Sometimes it makes you upset or sad. There is even some love going on in it. The book has it all. The book really helped me realize that everyone goes through tons of bumps in life. Some bigger and harder than others.
For my Chacter E-Collages:

No comments:

Blog Archive