Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Third Quarter ORB Report

Third Quarter Outside Reading Book Review


What my girlfriend doesn't know by Sonya Jones. Random House, 2008.
Genre: Realistic Fiction
What my Girlfriend Doesn't Know is a sequel to another teen novel, What my Mother Doesn't Know. This book is about a typical teenage boy living the modern freshman lifestyle. He unfortunetely is extremely geeky, and everyone hates him. Except for his girlfriend, and his new buddies he makes at Havard (because of his drawing talents) he is friendless.
"Read it, just don't read it on a plane, because people will look at you oddly when you laugh out loud randomly." The book cover reads. I find this quote very true, the book was entertaining, and very witty.

The novel is written entirely in poems. Some are shapes relating to the storyline, some are just stanzas. I really enjoyed this, because it was a real page turner. The poems were hilarious in most cases, and provided vivid meantal pictures.
I have also read the prequel of this novel, What my Mother Doesn't Know. It is the same writing style, with the poetry. I also liked this book a lot, it was told from the "Girlfriend" of the What my Girlfriend Doesn't Know.

"I stand outside by the football feild, waiting for like I always do. Then I see her, and my heart skips a beat." (12).

I love the writings of Sonya Jones. I can really relate to her characters , and her funny way of words. This book made me think of what it would be like to either be cheated on, or to be in the shoes of a really nerdy-type person that everyone teases. I would hate to be in either position, and protagonists in the book experience both.

No comments:

Blog Archive